Top 6 Tips to Add Solar Panels to Your Home

Utilizing solar panels in your home is becoming increasingly common as homeowners are looking for ways to save money and cut down on their utility bills. Solar panels are becoming increasingly affordable to install, making them a great choice for both short-term and long-term savings.


Solar can be added to both new home construction as well as existing pre-owned homes. Here are the top six tips to consider when adding solar panels to your home.


Adding Solar to New Home Builds

Whether short or long distance moving, sometimes new homes don’t have everything you want. New construction homes have many advantages to adding solar from the start. It’s simpler for the builder to incorporate plans to install solar with a new home build and states like California now require all new home builds to include solar panels. Installing solar from the beginning allows for the panels to be built straight into the roof and the builder can also plan around any environmental obstructions such as large trees so the panels get maximum sun exposure.


Adding Solar to an Existing Home

Installing solar to an existing home is also a simple process. Solar panels will be added to the existing roof, so the builder will inspect your roof to make sure no repairs are needed before installing the panels. Since the panels can last up to 30 years, it’s important that the existing roof is in good condition before solar installation takes place.


How Solar Helps with Energy Bills

Installing solar panels in your home can significantly reduce your overall energy bills. Depending on how much electricity your panels can generate means the less electricity you need from the local utility company. For example, if your panels can produce 80% of the electricity your home needs for the month, then you only need to get the remaining 20% from the utility company. These savings add up over time, making solar energy the best choice for homeowners looking to decrease their electricity bills.


Tax Breaks and Incentives to Go Solar

Most states have incentives to install solar panels in your home, and your solar installer should be able to guide you in the application process. There are also federal tax credits for homes that utilize solar power, making solar a wise choice if you’re looking to save money.


Increase the Value of Your Home

Adding solar panels to your home increases the overall value when you go to sell it because it’s seen as any other home upgrade. Just like renovating a kitchen or upgrading the floors of your home, solar panels also help increase the value of your home.


Professional vs DIY Installation

Most choose to have panels professionally installed to make sure that they are installed properly, that no roof damage is caused, that correct electrical wiring is done, and that the panels will work properly with the battery and system. However, if you already know or have experience in electrical wiring and panel installation then it’s completely possible to do it yourself.


Solar power is the future of energy. Whether you install solar in a new home build, or add solar panels to an existing home, solar is the easiest way to cut down on your utility bills every month and is the best upgrade choice for homeowners.