Duke Energy Submits Solar Procurement Proposal to North Carolina Government

Duke Energy is seeking at least 1,300 MW in new solar capacity in North Carolina. The company is proposing to the state to commence a system-wide solar procurement request for proposal targeting a minimum of 700 MW of utility-owned and third-party solar energy resources in North Carolina and South Carolina to serve customers’ future energy needs as part of the companies’ 2022 Carolinas Carbon Plan and in furtherance of Duke Energy’s integrated Carolinas energy transition.

The state’s recently passed HB 951 provides that 55% of new solar generation under the Carbon Plan is to be supplied from solar energy facilities that are company-built. The remaining 45% of any solar energy facility purchased under the Carbon Plan must be provided by power purchase agreements (PPA) between other companies.

Duke Energy’s plan would be in addition to the roughly 600 MW already put out for bids in the last round of the existing Competitive Procurement of Renewable Energy program. If the N.C. Utilities Commission approves Duke’s latest proposal, its Carolinas utilities would seek bids this year for almost 1,300 MW worth of solar projects.

The procurement supports overall law’s goal that the N.C. Utilities Commission shall take all reasonable measures to reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the state by 70% from electric-generating facilities owned and operated by electric public utility companies. The 2022 initial solar procurement will be the first in a series of annual procurements. The amounts of each subsequent procurement will be determined by the Commission as part of the Carbon Plan’s approval.

Duke Energy currently boasts 4,200 MW of solar capacity in North Carolina and more than 40 solar power plant.

Read Duke Energy’s filing here.